Tedesco was the headline inclusion when NSW coach Laurie Daley announced his squad for the 27 May series opener in Sydney on Monday.
Daley has shown little regard for history after losing last year's series, picking six debutants - Tolu Koula, Addin Fonua-Blake, Blayke Brailey, Victor Radley, Ethan Strange and Casey McLean - in his 19-man squad.
But the hardest selection dilemma Daley faced was who to put in at fullback.
Penrith No.1 Edwards is famed for his insatiable workrate but Daley said Tedesco's attacking spark proved the difference.
"We could only find a place for one, there was some discussion around whether one of them may have been on the bench, but we didn't think that was the right fit," Daley told reporters at the MCA in Sydney on Monday.
"In the end, Teddy got the job; it's just more around how we want to play.
"Dylan has done nothing wrong, it's just (about) the style of footy we want to play in game one," Daley added.
"I spoke to him (Edwards) after the game last night and he was obviously disappointed, but if anything happens further down the track and we need to call on Dylan then we know we've got a really good player coming into our squad."
The 33-year-old Tedesco, who won last year's Dally M Medal, has been electrifying to start this season scoring six tries and registering eight try assists across 10 games for the Roosters.
Game one will mark Tedesco's 24th Blues appearance and his first since the opening game of the 2024 series.
Daley said a big factor in his selection was the fact Tedesco had played Test and Origin football with halfback Nathan Cleary and featured at club level with five-eighth Mitchell Moses and starting hooker Reece Robson.
"Dylan and Teddy play different football, Teddy's more dynamic and Dylan gets through a mountain of work," Daley said.
"With what we want to do when we have the ball… I think we need to do a bit more, and that's not to say Dylan doesn't do that.
"We just feel like the spine with Teddy's connection he's got with Robson, Moses and Cleary on either side just gives us a few more opportunities."
Tedesco forms part of an exciting backline that will be without Latrell Mitchell due to a back injury, with Kotoni Staggs and Stephen Crichton to slot in at centre with Koula and Brian To'o on the wings.
Staggs (foot) and Crichton (shoulder) have both been carrying injuries over recent weeks.
There is no place for in-form Warriors forward Jackson Ford in the front row with Addin Fonua-Blake named to start in his Origin debut at age 30.
Fonua-Blake, Penrith outside back Casey McLean (both New Zealand) and Victor Radley (England) are all named to play following a loosening of the Origin eligibility rules over the off-season.
Daley has only included one traditional prop on his bench with Newcastle's Jacob Saifiti, named among an array of utility forwards for his first Origin appearance since 2023.
"It was just a combination of getting the right balance between power and mobility," Daley said.
"We could have gone with another back-rower but both the back-rowers Haumole and Hudson play 80 minutes but you need someone who can go into that position."
NSW SQUAD FOR GAME ONE: James Tedesco, Brian To'o, Stephen Crichton, Kotoni Staggs, Tolu Koula*, Mitchell Moses, Nathan Cleary, Addin Fonua-Blake, Reece Robson, Mitch Barnett, Hudson Young, Haumole Olakau'atu, Isaah Yeo (capt). Interchange: Cameron Murray, Victor Radley*, Jacob Saifiti, Blayke Brailey*, Ethan Strange*, Casey McLean*. Reserve: Dylan Lucas*.