Roar triumph in last-gasp win

Late winner: Cobram’s division one men celebrate the last-gasp goal. Photo by Christine Osborne

If a sign of a good team is continuing to win with your backs against the wall, then the Cobram Roar have once against proved they are superb.

They may have left it late, but the men’s division one side picked up an important Albury Wodonga Football Association win on Sunday.

The 1-0 victory came courtesy of an 89th minute goal, with Roar assistant coach Nathan Thomas coming off the bench to win the game.

On the move: Cobram's Nathan Thomas came off the bench to score the winner. Photo: Christine Osborne Photo by Christine Osborne

Roar coach Vince Iannucci said with a lot of players out of the squad, the side were always going to be under pressure.

“Going into the game I didn’t know which way it was going to run but as the game progressed I thought ‘look, we’ll get over the line, I just don’t know when’,” Iannucci said.

Defensive duties: Cobram's Jackson Temarkon attempts to block his opponent. Photo: Christine Osborne Photo by Christine Osborne

“And I had to wait until right at the end.”

The last-gasp goal added drama to an already dramatic contest, with Melrose a top-four side and Iannucci said it was great to get the late goal.

“He (Thomas) is the assistant coach and said ‘I’m good for 10 minutes’ so we put him on for 10 minutes and he scored,” Iannucci said.

Iannucci praised his side’s efforts on the day, with 16-year-old Luke Goodin performing well and Zainul Alibraheem putting in a good shift in his first senior start at the club.

“Everyone did a job yesterday it was a good effort all around,” Iannucci said.

Arm wrestle: Cobram's Bill Puckett battles with his opponent. Photo: Christine Osborne Photo by Christine Osborne

“We’re still grinding out results, we didn’t concede and that’s something that we’re really trying to focus on, not conceding.

“We really want people to come along and get behind the team and the club on a weekend.

“There’s a good atmosphere down there, we’re up and about this year, the women are going really well, the juniors are going well so the whole club’s doing well.”

The Roar will play Albury City in Albury on Sunday, with kick off at 3pm, and with June 1 Albury Wodonga FA Cup semi-final getting ever closer, Cobram will be hoping to keep its good form going.

— Daniel Webb

Out in front: Cobram's Jack Smith uses the ball well. Photo: Christine Osborne Photo by Christine Osborne

Division 2 men

Cobram Roar 3 defeated Melrose 2

The division two men come up against a similar placed Melrose team. With a point to prove to the coaches after some disappointing results, the home side had high intensity and created some early chances. A defensive error allowed the away team to take lead early before a long-range effort from Cooper Sorrenti levelled the scores. Melrose took the lead back from the home team before Marley Chia equalled for the Roar going into the half time break.

In the second half it was back forth with chances going to both teams before a corner kick resulted in a headed contest going into the back of the net giving the home team a much-needed win.

Division two women

Cobram Roar 13 defeated Melrose 0

The ladies match against Melrose was a game that meant a lot to the club as they honoured a former player.

The Roarettes started slowly before Laydah Samani booted four goals in the first half. The ball movement and discipline of the women was second to none and was impressive to watch. A fifth goal come through Kylie Wooden who scored her first women's goal for the side this season and a sixth through Ella Lissington.

The second half was just wonderful to watch with a lot of combination passes through the team, Lissington and Samani, along with Marlie Noonan and Alyssa Iannucci were a stronghold in the middle of the park. With the influence of Talia Ellis who played her best women's game to date, the second half saw Samani score another two to give her double hat-trick, Wooden scored her second and Noonan scoring two more goals.

The defence was solid, the midfield was strong and the forward line sharp. It was an impressive effort by all players putting in a good shift this weekend. Our ladies take on Albury City next week.


Cobram Roar 7 defeated Melrose 0

The under-16s were coming off a bye and took time to find their feet this week. Once they settled into the match the goals started flying in with some great teamwork and effort. A great all round even contribution saw the boys come away with a 7-0 win against a good opponent.

Goals: Jackson Koopman 3, Jake Kalz 2, Baden Riedell 1, Luke Goodin 1.


Cobram Roar 2 defeated Melrose 1

The under-14 team played in a tightly contested match against Melrose. The under-14 team met the challenge by playing skilful football and displaying great teamwork.

Goals: Samuel Hurlston 2.


Cobram Roar 2 lost to Melrose FC 13

Cobram Roar were outpaced in a tough battle, but the players kept working hard trying to create opportunities. At half-time the team was down 0-7.

The team went into the second half of the game composed. Nonetheless, Melrose continued scoring. Roar's first goal came when Dante Zito positioned himself well to gain possession and run towards the box, where he passed the ball across the goals onto Sam Osborne, for a strategically played goal. Luana Mete also managed to get around the opposition's strong defenders and score a fantastic goal.

Roar went down 2-13 but the score did not reflect the intensity with which the Roar players played throughout the game.


Cobram roar 4 defeated Melrose 0

The under-12s boys took to the pitch feeling pumped and ready to face Melrose. The boys started well with great passing connections, and Will Hutchinson and Blaize Dahlenburg creating chances to get the boys ahead. They scored the first goal of the game with an awesome free kick from Jeremy Egan to get the boys up 1-0.

As the first half was coming to a close the young Roar boys had another free kick this time with Blazie Dahlenburg placing it past the keeper and getting boys 2-0 up.

The second half started and the boys were ready to put this game to bed with Sam Osborne placing the ball in the bottom corner making it 3-0. Five minutes left of the game and Logan Morley put the icing on the cake finishing the game a 4-0 win. Coach Paul Diretto was pleased with the performance and the team is ready for next week’s game in Wodonga.