Australia has issued passports to the women and children trying to return home after languishing in the Syrian Al Roj refugee camp since the fall of the caliphate in 2019.
Federal police insist they are prepared to keep the community safe if the 34 partners and children of Australian-born ISIS fighters are allowed back into the country, warning anyone who has committed a crime will face the full force of the law.
The opposition wants the government to do all it can to stop the entire group of so-called "ISIS brides" from entering Australia, arguing they could pose a security risk.
"These people went over to another part of the world to support ISIS. How can the prime minister justify allowing these people to come back into the country?" Opposition Leader Angus Taylor said on Thursday.
"If we need to work with the government to pass legislation, to tighten legislation to make sure that they can't come back, we will do that."
Pressed on whether the government had issued passports to the group, Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said all citizens had a legal right to receive official travel documents.
"If anyone applies for a passport as a citizen, they are issued with a passport, in the same way that if someone applies for a Medicare card, they get a Medicare card," he told the ABC's 7.30 program on Wednesday.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said he had "nothing but contempt" for the parents who travelled to the Middle East and put their children at risk.
"We will do nothing to assist these people coming back to Australia," he told ABC Radio on Thursday.
Some of the women have claimed they were coerced into leaving Australia.
Charles Sturt University security and intelligence expert Samantha Jones said conditions within the camps would have been dire for the women and children.
"The longer you leave someone in an environment that is unsecure ... there's a possibility that they could want to go back to ISIS, especially if they are provided with security, as well as food, water and the general things that we should be able to have as humans," Dr Jones told AAP.
The Australian Federal Police has revealed at least 10 people who had returned from Syria have been charged with crimes since arriving back in the nation.
"Where Australians returning to Australia have allegedly breached Australian law, they will be, where appropriate, and on a case-by-case basis, subject to law enforcement action," an AFP spokesperson said in a statement.
Dr Jones said this group could not be compared to previous returns in 2019 and 2022, as the climate now was different with increased intelligence and security threat levels.
The government has blocked one of the women from returning on security grounds, issuing a "temporary exclusion order", which allows it to block someone's entry for up to two years.
Opposition home affairs spokesman Jonno Duniam said if one person had been barred, the rest should also be kept out of Australia to protect the community.
However, there are no further temporary exclusion orders in the works, which are reliant on advice from security agencies provided to the government.
Mr Burke confirmed no other security advice had been received aside from the single person.
Greens senator Mehreen Faruqi said it was disgraceful the government wasn't doing all it could to bring the women and children home.
"These are Australian citizens. They need to be brought back, and the (security) concerns should be dealt with in Australia," she told ABC TV.