Prime Minister Anthony Albanese came under fire for comments made on the Bush Deep podcast released in July about two crown melons gifted to him by Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi.
"She brought two and they're beautiful," he said while making a gesture with both hands in front of his chest.
The prime minister has rejected calls to apologise over the comments, insisting the relationship between Australia and Japan remained strong.
Following controversy and media coverage in Australia of the melon comments, a letter from Japanese officials to their Australian counterparts noted there had been "sensationalise reporting" about the interview.
No action would be taken by the Japanese government over the incident, the letter said.
The correspondence was leaked to several media outlets.
The leaking prompted coalition frontbencher James Paterson to request an investigation by the federal police into how the leak of the correspondence took place.
In its response to Senator Paterson, the federal police confirmed it would examine the referral.
"The Australian Federal Police takes allegations of unauthorised disclosures of Commonwealth information seriously and assesses all reports in accordance with its legislative responsibilities and established investigative processes," the AFP letter said.
"Your correspondence has been referred to Special Investigations Command, where the material will be reviewed and an updated provided at an appropriate time."
At the time of the referral to the AFP, Housing Minister Clare O'Neil said the coalition had "lost the plot".
It comes as Defence Minister Richard Marles will meet with his Japanese counterpart Shinjiro Koizumi in Canberra later on Tuesday.
It will be the first time an Australian minister has met with members of the Japanese government since the controversy over the melon comments.