Hundreds of people are currently without power, with wild weather causing outages in Cobram, Tungamah, Katamatite, Yarrawonga and surrounds.
The outages are currently under investigation.
A Powercor spokesperson said crews are continuing work to restore power to customers impacted by storms over the past 24 hours.
"Widespread and severe lightning has damaged the network in many parts of the network, with 3200 customers currently off supply.
"Some of the hardest hit areas have been in and around Shepparton and Cobram, which have 2700 customers without power.
"More severe lightning is expected to occur again today, with the storm system expected to peak this afternoon."
Power is expected to be returned by 2.30pm.
In the event of an outage, stay clear of fallen powerlines and report them to us immediately on 13 24 12.
Prepare for Power Outages
Powercor has released a range of tips to advise how customers can plan for outages in order to stay safe and minimise inconvenience, as well as get back on with their day quickly once the lights come back on.
Following this guidance will ensure people know to stay away and report fallen powerlines, can access up-to-date information in an emergency, access drinking water and more.
- Download the VicEmergency app, sign up for Powercor SMS outage notifications, and keep emergency phone numbers handy;
- Recharge phones and laptops so you can stay connected with family and friends;
- Prepare a contingency plan if you rely on life support equipment or need electrical items to care for babies, people with disability, elderly or pets;
- Have an emergency kit ready with cash for supplies, first-aid items, medications, torches, candles, matches, a portable radio and heavy-duty gloves;
- Back-up computers and phones to keep data safe;
- Consider alternative power sources for water pumps and cooking sources;
- Make sure you know how to open your garage doors and gates manually; and
- In the event of an outage, take care and stay clear of fallen powerlines and report them to us immediately on 13 24 12
You can also find a wide range of practical written and video tips on how to prepare for summer here.