Police responded to an alleged domestic violence incident at a house in Narangba, north of Brisbane, early on Sunday morning following reports a man was armed and making threats.
Acting Chief Superintendent Kerry Johnson said police were speaking to an occupant of the house at the front door when the armed man approached and made threats to officers.
"He advanced towards police, they did verbal commands and then did a tactical withdrawal from the situation," he told reporters in Brisbane on Sunday.
"Police officers that were present shot their service pistols and then rendered practical first aid to a 48-year-old male until (paramedics) arrived."
Supt Johnson said the situation escalated very quickly.
"There is nothing at this stage that causes me concern about our police actions," he said.
"We absolutely support our members and we train them, we supply them, we resource them and do all we can but unfortunately, these things happen."
The man was known to police and had past interactions for multiple reasons, Supt Johnson said.
A current order had been imposed on the man, but the senior officer said he was unable to comment further.Â
Queensland Ambulance Service said paramedics also transferred three people, believed to be close relations of the man, to hospital in stable conditions.
The Police Ethical Standards Command, with oversight from the Crime and Corruption Commission, will investigate the incident.
The matter has also been referred to the coroner.
1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)
Lifeline 13 11 14
Men's Referral Service 1300 766 491