News

Horror time on the roads

By Cobram Courier

Seven people died on Victorian and NSW roads across the Queen’s Birthday long weekend despite massive statewide safety campaigns by police in both states.

The latest fatalities take the two states’ combined road toll for the year to 318, up from 248 at the same time last year.

That is 70 more people killed on our roads and police are at a loss to explain the carnage.

In a recent media interview Victoria Police Assistant Commissioner Stephen Leane said he wondered if the state’s drivers were suffering a ‘‘collective brain fade’’ and all drivers just needed to think about it.

Asst Comm Leane said Victoria’s reputation as one of the safest places in the world to drive was being challenged.

The latest death in the region was early Monday on Barooga-Tocumwal Rd, Tocumwal.

A vehicle driven by a man, believed to be in his 50s, collided with a tree and the wreckage was found at 6.30am by a passing motorist.

The long weekend got off to a horrific start in Cobram when a car collided with two men in Main St on Friday afternoon.

One of the men suffered severe leg injuries and was flown to a Melbourne hospital, where he remains in intensive care.

The men were unloading a meat truck at about 4.30pm when they were hit, according to Cobram CIU Detective Constable Leah Booth on Friday.

‘‘A male in his late 60s was attempting to park his vehicle on Main St, Cobram,’’ Det Const Booth said.

‘‘He has hit two males who were unloading a truck outside Betta Electrical.

‘‘At this stage, we have one male who has gone off to hospital in Shepparton and one male who has been airlifted to Melbourne with severe leg injuries.’’

Cobram police later labelled the incident as a tragic accident.