Federal Government officials concede there is a risk a ban on some Australian beef exports to China could last several months.
China’s quarantine agency raised concerns about labels on some boxes of exported beef that did not match packet labels inside.
While China agreed to accept meat sent from Australia before July 24, the suspension has affected six processors.
An audit of those processing companies is now complete and a report will be given to Chinese authorities within the next week.
It will detail Australia’s account of what happened and a program to remedy the issue, Federal Agriculture Department secretary Daryl Quinlivan told a parliamentary committee in Canberra last week.
Mr Quinlivan said the matter was being taken seriously and the firm’s involved accepted there was a genuine problem that needed fixing.
‘‘It’s not a trivial matter. We’ll just have to wait and see how the Chinese authorities react to that,’’ he said.