Roaring to victory

July 26, 2017

Splendid effort: Cobram Roar enjoys its goal-fest at Cobram Showgrounds on Sunday as it disposes of the Albury Hotspurs.

Cobram Roar continued its recent strong run of home form, recording another convincing 6-1 win over Albury Hotspurs.

Cobram dominated the match from start to finish although the first half dominance didn’t show on the scoreboard.

Roar had two goals ruled out in the early stages as Gatcum and Puckett both thought they had opened the scoring but were both disallowed, due to an offside and a foul in the box.

Cobram continued to push forward in numbers as Hotspurs rarely put pressure on the Cobram defence as they defended in numbers.

Cobram finally found the break through after 25 minutes, when a long ball by Feldtmann picked out Puckett who flicked the ball onto Gatcum who rounded the keeper to score into an empty net.

Cobram took the one-goal lead into the break but came out firing in the second half as the floodgates began to open.

An early corner kick picked out an unmarked Aaron Feldtmann at the back post to double his side’s advantage before a free kick just outside the box was whipped in and found the head of Nathan Thomas to take the score to 3-0 and ultimately finish off the match.

Puckett managed to get his name on the score sheet on the hour mark before going on to score a hat-trick as Hotspurs did manage to score a late consolation goal.

Cobram introduced two youngsters, Michael Demaio and Jordan Nankaville, for their first taste of senior football in the final 10 minutes of the match as Roar ran away a convincing 6-1 winner and moved up to third spot on the table.

This week Cobram travels to Wodonga to take on bottom-placed Wodonga Heart.

Score: 6-1. Goals: B. Puckett 3, A. Gatcum, N. Thomas, A. Feldtmann.


The reserves pulled off one of the comebacks of the season to go back to second on the ladder.

Hotspurs came out firing and scored two early goals to catch Cobram off guard. Cobram managed to get one back before the break through Nathan Stoate, before a bizarre second half.

Cobram equalised early through Seabrook, moments before the side was reduced to 10 men as Ballerini was given his marching orders.

Michael Startari gave Cobram the lead with 25 minutes to play but things then got even worse as Seabrook was also given his marching orders, setting up a very tough final 20 minutes.

Cobram managed to hold on for a memorable win, although two more red cards were produced before the final whistle, with Cobram ending the match with eight men and Hotspurs 10 men.

Score: 3-2. Goals: M. Startari, T. Seabrook, N. Stoate.


The under-12s took on mid-table Hotspurs and made a great start, scoring two goals in the first four minutes.

Midfielders Jesse Brogan, Thomas Corso and Jackson Koopman tore the opposition apart with fantastic ball control and fierce through balls. The half-time score was 3-0.

Roar mixed the team up to remain dominant in the second half, finishing the game 5-0.

Score: 5-0. Goals: Chaz Boyd 1, Thomas Corso 1, Jafar Aledeli 1, Jackson Koopman 2. Best: Jessie Brogan, Brock Churchin, Michaele Mustica, Ethan Baxa.


The under-11s came up against the top team in a high intensity, pressure-filled game.

From the outset, Cobram was on the front foot and pressured its opponents and created goal scoring opportunities.

Adam Champagne controlled the midfield and was instrumental in creating forward movement.

He put a beautiful through ball for forward Harry Paterson who made no mistake in placing it past the keeper to put Cobram 1-0 up.

From there, Cobram held firm in defence. Leo Quinane, Jake Brincat and Sonny Rowe repelled Hotspurs’ attacking moves and Logan Stone and Mikael Artavilla- Bennett provided Cobram with good runs down the wings.

Sonny then passed to Mikael who took the ball down the wing and slammed the ball home from long range to put Cobram 2-0 up.

That goal seemed to fire Hotspurs up and they started pressuring the Cobram defence more.

Hotspurs were awarded a penalty and Cobram keeper Jordan Kelly pulled off an amazing save which rebounded towards the Hotspurs penalty taker. Jordan then followed up with another great save to deny Hotspurs a goal.

Hotspurs continued to pressure Cobram’s defence and scored, to narrow the scoreline to 2-1.

The last 10 minutes were frenetic with both teams running hard in search of another goal.

Joseph Allen and Tyrone Baxter ran themselves ragged in midfield. The final whistle was greeted with relief and joy by the Cobram players.

Score: 2-1. Goals: Harry and Mikael. Award: Luke Goodin.

Other results

●Senior women: Cobram Roar 3 (M. Gall 1, J. Gannaway 1, A. Iannucci 1) lost to Albury Hotspurs 6.

●Division three men (under-18): Cobram Roar 1 d Albury Hotspurs 0.

●Under-13 girls: Cobram Roar 0 lost to Albury Hotspurs 10.

●Under-16: Cobram Roar 3 d Albury Hotspurs 1.

●Under-14: Cobram Roar 4 d Albury Hotspurs 1.

●Under-13: Cobram Roar 2 lost to Albury Hotspurs 5.

More in The Courier Cobram
Login Sign Up

Dummy text