Roar is back in contention after beating Myrtleford

May 19, 2017

Evasion: Roar's Billotelli Marshall keeps the ball away from his Myrtleford opponents.

Cobram Roar has recorded its best win of the season so far, defeating last season’s premiers, second-placed Myrtleford FC.

For the first time all season Cobram had an unchanged line-up, and was still without coach Adam Gatcum and the injured Ray Diramacca.

It was a very even first half, with both side’s defences holding tight, as Tyler Seabrook looked the most threatening on the counter attack to open the scoring.

Myrtleford also had a couple of chances, but keeper Sam Varley did well to deny his opponents.

On the half-hour mark, Billy Marshall whipped in a quick corner to catch Myrtleford off guard.

It was headed home by Seabrook to open the scoring for the match, a lead that Cobram took into the half-time break.

Cobram came back out the more dominant side and started to create scoring chances with the two Bills — Marshall and Puckett — missing one-on-one chances with the Myrtleford goalkeeper.

Cobram almost paid the ultimate price for not taking is chance as Myrtleford began to pile on pressure on the Cobram defence, who were holding on very well, led by captain Aaron Feldtman.

After 25 minutes, Cobram finally broke through again when a superb through ball broke the offside trap and it was Marshall with only the keeper to beat and this time he made no mistake, scoring his first goal for the club and giving 2-0 lead.

From then on Myrtleford went forward in numbers but the Cobram defence held on very well, until Myrtleford finally got on the score sheet in the 96th minute with the last kick of the match to bring the scores back to 2-1.

This Sunday, Roar is away to Albury Hotspurs before coming back home to take on top-of-the-table Wangaratta in what is going to be a blockbuster match.

Score: 2-1. Goals: T. Seabrook, B. Marshall. Best: L. Tweedie, A. Feldtman, J. Koopman.


The reserves went into the match undermanned against a very strong Myrtleford outfit, but the youngsters who stepped up took it right up to the more experienced Myrtleford side.

Grillo opened the scoring midway through the half and it could have easily been more at half-time with Osborne, Stoate and Willis all going extremely close.

After the break, a lapse for 10 minutes cost Cobram as it went 2-1 down, but the young side responded well and a Willis goal levelled the scores once again.

That point now takes Cobram back to the top of the table.

Score: 2-2. Goals: J. Grillo, S. Willis. Best: A. Zito, L. Osborn, J. Ballerini.


The under-14s came unstuck against a tough Myrtleford side on Sunday, losing 2-5.

Goals came from Saif Alibraheem and Anthony Corso who put the side 1-1 and 2-1 up respectively.

Unfortunately with a few too many errors, Roar wasn’t able to capitalise on this lead and ended up chasing and losing the game.

Although the score line wasn’t positive, the players were able to practice what they had trained.

Score: 2-5. Goals: S. Alibraheem, A. Corso. Best:Zain Bartolic, Harrison Clarke and Declan Cheong.

Under 13 girls

Cobram Roar’s under-13 girls had their first win on Sunday.

Myrtleford opened the scoring, seven minutes into the game.

Emily Stewart soon followed suit, scoring with a great goal from a tight angle and Angelina Fotia then created chances and was unlucky not to score.

Ella Lissington got the third goal of the game, putting Cobram in front.

Defenders Bella Mete, Serena Keech and Lara Hyde were playing well, but Myrtleford levelled the scores for half-time.

Myrtleford scored the first goal of the second half but Ella Lissington scored Cobram’s next goal within a minute.

Olivia Sullivan did a great job in goals. Madeline Post, who had played first half as goal keeper, was great at providing some speedy moves on the ground in the second half.

Annie Oliver, Coco Fowell-Reed and Olivia Newton provided great support in midfield.

Helena Zito had a couple of shots at goal and Claudia Leighton-Daly provided the match-winning goal, with only a minute to spare.

Score: 4-3.


Roar’s under-12s were up against the top side, the undefeated Myrtleford Savoys.

The game plan this week was changed to focus on stopping them scoring.

It worked well — not only did Cobram Roar initially stop the opposition from scoring, Roar scored the first two goals.

Roar had the Savoys up against the wall, playing for each other and winning the first half 3-1.

In the second half Roar did not let up, outclassing the top side and winning 5-2 for the side’s best game this season.

Score: 5-2.


The under-11s started well, with Jake Kalz pouncing on a mistake from Myrtleford’s keeper and slotting the first goal.

After that it was all Myrtleford as they piled on the pressure and continually tested Cobram’s backline and keeper.

Leo Quinane and Logan Stone provided good resistance in defence while Mikael Artavilla-Bennett was making some good runs down the wing.

Myrtleford scored three quick goals before Harry Patterson scrambled another keeper mistake into goals to leave the score at 2-4 at half-time.

The boys came out firing in the second half and Sonny Rowe and Adam Champagne combined well at centre back to thwart Myrtleford’s defence.

Luke Goodin ran hard in midfield and Joseph Allen scored a great goal to get the score to 3-4.

Craig Keech was good while in the thick of the action and Jake Brincat was solid in defence.

The game was frenetic in the final few minutes as Cobram pushed for an equaliser and was unlucky to not score again.

Score: 3-4. Goals: Joseph Allen, Harry Paterson and Jake Kalz. Best: Luke Goodin.

Other scores

●Women lost 7-0.

●Men’s division 3 won 1-0.

More in The Courier Cobram
Login Sign Up

Dummy text