News

Home invasion critically injures man, 73

by
May 10, 2017

A 73-year-old man was allegedly attacked by a former housemate and robbed in a horrific home invasion that ‘‘left him for dead’’, a court has heard.

Jamie Nathan O’Toole, 44, faced Shepparton Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday last week on 21 charges in relation to a home invasion that occurred in Bearii last Thursday morning.

The informant in the case, Detective Senior Constable Jason Williams at Cobram CIU, told court the accused and another individual entered a Williams St property about 2.40am on Thursday, April 27.

The accused, and another individual who is yet to be identified, allegedly forced entry to the property before attacking a 73-year-old man who lived in the home.

He said the two offenders dragged the man from his bed before attacking him with baseball bats and an iron bar.

‘‘They have then bound him with duct tape, ropes and tied him to a couch and left him for dead, for want of a better term,’’ Det Sen Const Williams said.

Another man who was at the property during the invasion had his wallet stolen by the offenders, before he fled the scene to raise the alarm with police.

Before he fled, the man was allegedly warned that he would be killed if he went to the authorities.

When police and ambulance crews arrived at the property, the 73-year-old man was found to have life-threatening injuries from the brutal attack.

He was taken to Goulburn Valley Health before he was airlifted to the Royal Melbourne Hospital for further treatment.

More than $2000 in cash was stolen from the two men in the home invasion.

Charges for Mr O’Toole include trespassing, unlawful assault, unlawful imprisonment and making a threat to kill.

Police applied to Magistrate Stella Stuthridge to perform a DNA test on the accused, after he denied a request during an interview.

‘‘There is still one offender we seek to identify, but we do believe that the accused’s DNA and fingerprints will be contained on the duct tape that was used to bind (the victim),’’ Const Williams said.

He said Mr O’Toole used to live at the property with the victim before they had a falling out over stolen property a few years ago.

During the invasion, Cont Williams said the victim allegedly heard the accused say certain things that ‘‘only the accused person would know about’’.

The request for a DNA test was granted by the magistrate.

Mr O’Toole was remanded in custody and the case was adjourned to May 19.

—Barclay White.

By
More in The Courier Cobram
Login Sign Up

Dummy text