Workers at the JBS Cobram plant are facing an uncertain future, prompted by concerns after the current stand-down was extended by another month.
Staff were originally set to head back to work from next week after JBS announced on March 17 that about 290 employees on the kill floor and boning room would be affected by a four-week minimum stand-down.
The decision was understood to be a result of a shortage of suitable smalls livestock as per the company’s enterprise agreement.
State Member for Ovens Valley Tim McCurdy said the stand-down had been extended another month and employees and their families were concerned about the future.
He also said Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews had done nothing to support the workers despite the situation at JBS worsening.
‘‘In parliament on March 23, I asked the premier to come to Cobram to meet with the impacted workers and the community,’’ Mr McCurdy said.
‘‘Now the situation at JBS has escalated and I still have heard nothing from the Premier.
‘‘It is both a disappointment and a concern for all involved that Daniel Andrews has not responded to my request to visit Cobram.’’
Mr McCurdy said there was worry throughout the community about the impact the extended stand-down would have on the town.
‘‘Market conditions are making it tough for JBS,’’ he said.
‘‘This is a serious situation we are facing in Cobram with hundreds of workers impacted.
‘‘This has a flow-on effect throughout the community.
‘‘Daniel Andrews need to show some support for these workers, our town and for regional Victoria.
‘‘Please premier, do something.’’