Long absence does ‘Snake’ Hargreaves no harm

February 08, 2017

Fourteen riders fronted the starter in hot and windy conditions on Saturday.

Kay Huggins riding solo from limit was on the 13.30 minute mark, trying to make it two wins in succession after her great win the previous week.

Rene Mol, Stephen Gemmill, Pommy Hyde, Bernie Gillespie and Stephen Hargreaves shared the luxury mark of eight minutes.

This group contained was the early favourites, and took off at a frantic pace trying to justify their position.

The 6.30 minute bunch consisted of proven all-round athletes Gary Smith and the ever improving Michael Doyle. Andy Doyle, Terry Walmsley and aggregate leader Heath White rode from 1.30 minutes.

As usual, club champion Travis Lindhe rode from scratch, accompanied by Iain Davidson and Nick Torney who was elevated to the hallowed mark.

Kay Huggins led until the hill on the final lap, only to be overtaken by the eight-minute group, which had by now lost Pommy Hyde due to an unfortunate incident in which his tyre punctured.

Undaunted, and taking only a very short time to remedy the situation, he was soon back on the bike.

Scratch had now been reduced to a single rider as the strong Lindhe had ridden away from his co-markers. Prior to the race Torney and Mol had ridden 70km at a fast pace, effectively ruining their chances of victory.

Nevertheless, it was still good training for Torney who is contemplating contesting the Australian Road Championships for under-19 riders.

Mol still was able to finish fifth even though he had been dropped from his bunch early in the race.

Steven ‘Snake’ Hargreaves, returning after a long absence, won the race in good fashion from the consistent Bernie Gillespie, relegating Stephen Gemmill to third place in a very close finish.

Smith finished fourth in a time of 45.10 minutes, nine seconds slower than the winner.

Mick Doyle on this occasion was unable to carve up the opposition; he was dropped on the hill and finished equal 10th.

Fastest time went to Lindhe who recorded 39.06 minutes, and Davidson — even though he finished 12th — still recorded a creditable time of 43.40 with Torney finishing exhausted after his marathon effort.

Huggins still finished strongly to be a fraction slower than her previous week’s time.

Walmsley and Andy Doyle were eighth and ninth respectively, recording 40.41.

White finished equal 10th, recording 43.24 on the shortened course of about 26km.

Further back were Hyde and Torney.

●Next week’s event will be conducted on the same course, with a starting time of 1.30pm at Hughes St, Barooga.

All licensed riders are welcome.

The following week will see the McDonald’s Super Time Trial series completed, with $800 to be divided up between the first 10 placegetters.

More in The Courier Cobram
Login Sign Up

Dummy text